Need to complete the project within specified weeks? But don’t have enough developers on-site? In that case, the only viable option is to hire an offshore development team. This way, you can finish the project on time without putting a hole in your pocket.
Having an outsourcing partnership can prove to be a valuable asset for your organization. It gives you unlimited access to top-notch professionals (designers, developers, software testers, content writers, etc) across the globe at affordable rates.
The best part is that you can hire dedicated developers at zero-setup cost & can add or remove the professionals without much hassle. The only effort you have to make is to search for a reliable outsourcing partner. Rest your offshore team will take care of everything else.
To learn more about the benefits of outsourcing, continue reading here.
Must Haves to Hire Offshore Development Team
1. Always Start with a Pilot Project
Most companies set up their offshore development team with a long term vision. Always start with a pilot project so that you can first gain trust within your team.
If you are satisfied with the team, you can award them the complete project. However, to ensure that everything will move ahead in the right direction, it is recommended to build a project charter and milestone.
Avoid stepping in & interrupting. Instead, keep an eye on the project progress and when necessary, steer them in the right direction. This will certainly give them a sense of empowerment. Also, you will only spend time on something which is very critical.
Besides lowering your operational cost, the prime reason to hire offshore developers is to work with the best. For making this a long-term partnership, involve them in certain decisions. Ask them for ideas, and consult them about making improvements in the development process.
2. Adopt a Strong Management Culture
Sometimes, when you don’t hear from your offshore team, most companies assume that everything is going well. However, silence is misinterpreted as an indication that nothing is being processed.
Therefore, conducting one-to-one call sessions with the project manager is a must. In fact, you should regularly interact with all your team members to listen to their queries and receive suggestions (if they have any). This helps to eliminate the guesswork.
Try to run an engagement survey with the team members, whether they are in-house or working offshore. Ask specific questions to get a sense of how things are going and ensure to dig into data.
This not only helps in learning about your organization as a whole but also understand how an individual is performing. In addition to this, it will give you insights about the whole company and discuss the plans that have to implement.
For a better understanding, you can check out these tips to manage your remote team.
3. Avoid Micromanagement of Your Remote Development Team
Micromanagement always creates issues within the team. It is a negative practice that gradually results in a breakdown of trust. And this loss of trust is likely to have drastic consequences.
The best way to manage your offshore team is to appoint a project manager. This person will practice the best team handling and management techniques to make the team more productive. Your team should be self-dependent and manageable. So, make sure that your offshore team includes leaders not just followers. It will increase the chance of your project success.
4. Ensure Mutual Understanding Between In-House and Offshore Team
When it comes to working in collaboration between the in-house & offshore team, mutual understanding doesn’t come naturally. Especially when there is so much difference in the work culture. Stick to the following recommendations to eliminate possible clashes.
- Note the Specific Requirements: As far as development is concerned, if something is not written down, it doesn’t exist. Don’t assume that your software offshore development team will do something that you may have assigned but did not explicitly mention in the requirements. Keep all the non-functional requirements like security, browser support, and scalability in mind.
- Make Sure that your Team Understands your Vision: A good practice is to cross-check that every developer clearly understands what they have to do. Never hesitate to ask your remote developers in case of any query. And explain that they should feel free to do the same.
5. Never Allow Your Offshore Team to Lose Track of Quality
They are experienced professionals who are aware of the quality standards so make sure they abide by them. Take care of the following to ensure quality.
- Ensure Compliance with Deadlines: Deadlines are a very important part of the offshore development team’s performance. Make sure the team never delays the project regardless of the project size and complexity.
- Stick to MVP: Determine the essential features of the product and allow the remote development team to make the first release. Follow a gradual development process to keep the scope of the product manageable. If you and your team are comfortable with the idea of MVP, it will certainly help you to reduce risks and achieve high productivity. Here’s everything you need to know about building an MVP.
- Make Offshore Employees a Part of the Esteemed Process: Select an esteemed technique and try involving all the team members in it. This is a good way of creating estimation. Here every developer evaluates the task in accordance with their personal experience as well as abilities.
- Manage Risks: Make sure the offshore developers you hire have prior experience and identify potential risks. If the risk is serious, allow them to take preventive actions immediately especially if it involves a third party.
6. Build Trust Within Your Outsourcing Team
Agile development teams thrive in an environment that has autonomy, trust, and flexibility. Project involvement has a key role. If the employees are not feeling like contributing to the overall project success, the team’s potential falls.
If you are using your team only to code, they might lose the motivation and involvement. So, make your dedicated offshore team understand the business content while creating a sense of purpose to achieve high engagement in the project.
7. Create a Consistent Development Environment
If you plan to hire a team of remote developers, it is important to have a designated product lead with the accountability to make decisions and thereby take responsibility for the complete outcome. This lead can be a CTO or a project manager.
Make sure the team shares ideas and have views regarding the project. This will help in enhancing the product and making it better before it reaches the end-user.
8. Explore Possible Business Models
It is very important to consider engagement models to hire an offshore development team or set up an offshore development center. The offshoring industry is very competitive. Still there are some reliable companies that are likely to charge their services at pocket-friendly prices.
As soon as you have finalized the country to outsource, evaluate all the engagement models and their worth for your project.
Undoubtedly, India is one of the best countries to fulfill the IT requirements for your business. As you will find the most talented workforce here at absolutely low cost as compared to other countries (most of the Indian offshore developers charge $20-$40/hour).
We recommend choosing the dedicated model, here’s why!
9. Hire Developers Who Keep an Eye On Work Process
The development of every successful product required extraordinary attention. You should know what your in-house and remote development team is working on and what different challenges they are facing. Here is how to keep track:
- When you are managing a large team that is distributed at a different geographic location, a well-established communication process is an absolute must.
- The strategy should include the meeting schedules and organization structure of the whole team. Everyone should know who has to be contacted in case of certain issues. It will also help in monitoring, sharing, and coming up with different project ideas for your team having different views. This helps you to make changes in real-time.
- With the right set of tools, project management is not only easy but also helps in managing workload hassle-free. You can discuss, chat, and comment on different tasks during the development phase in real-time. There are a set of tools to track bugs, store, and control the version of your project files. You can also calculate the total time spent by every team member to complete their projects.
Example of tools to use while working with an offshore team:
- Timesheet tools include Basecamp, Zoho, and Hubstaff.
- File Sharing tools: Google Drive, Onedrive, Dropbox, etc.
- File version control software includes Bitbucker, Team Foundation, and GIT.
10. Ask the Offshore team to Conduct Regular Demos
The demo is the intermediate result of the teamwork that is held at the end of each iteration. The main purpose is to show if the remote team can manage to complete the work as per the deadline, without hampering the quality.
During this session, it is important for you to give constructive feedback and document everything. Also, analyze the previously sent iteration, jot down the positive and negative points, and ask your dedicated offshore developers to develop solutions for them.
Because everyone will be actively involved in the demo, there is a continuous level of collaboration between different parties which is very important for the distributed team.
11. Minimize the Wait Time Between In-House and Offshore Team
It is always good to promote collaboration within your in-house team and offshore dedicated developers. Let’s imagine your in-house team has assigned some work to the offshore team. The virtual team has a query regarding the task. But they are unable to connect with anyone due to time-zone difference.
The only time when both the team can collaborate is during the afternoon or early morning frame and this ends up destroying productivity sometimes. So the best alternative is to assign the independent project to the offshore team.
This way you can reduce the wait time as well as avoid any issues in the future.
12. Keep Cultural Differences in Mind
Communication is an absolute key to success. The alignment of cultures and values play a major role in it.
Many development companies get so used to the way they interact with people in their own culture that they forget it is not the same way individuals interact in every part of the world. An outsourcing contract is between parties of two different countries having cultural differences.
If your teams have different cultures, it is significant to have a sense of sensitivity to know how the company operates and how every culture behaves. There is a possibility that your remote development team will be compromising on certain cultural norms.
In this case, there are a host of factors that have to be taken into account like the language, time zone, cultural differences, and national holidays. Their nationality, culture, and work ethics should be respected. Also, make sure they don’t become divisive issues as you both move forward with the project.
Hire a team of developers that are experienced and allow everyone to agree on the same page so that the workflow doesn’t hamper. Also, it is important to understand the vision of the best offshore company is in the long run and evaluate if it is aligned to your future needs.
Because in most cases, this type of collaboration leads to setting up an offshore development center. And as business goals may change, update one another with these changes so that the other can seamlessly recalibrate expectations.
Now is the Right Time to Get Started with the Best Offshore Team
When building your offshore development team, the choice of your partner is the most important decision. Always remember that the best offshore developers can bring so much to the table. An equally significant part should come from your end as well.
Combining the offshore development partner’s technical expertise and your company’s active involvement in the project is the key to getting the software solutions in the market as quickly and efficiently as possible. There is no better time than now to get your business ideas out of the planning stage and take the help of the best offshore development team.
Connect with us now & get a free consultation to build set up your offshore team in India.