In the post-pandemic era, the business world underwent a significant transformation. One which has stood out the most is the pace at which companies are ramping up their efforts to leverage the new technologies. Today, building agile, resilient, and flexible business models is the key priority.
But due to the economic downturn caused by the Covid-19 global lockdown, quick scaling of teams at local geographies has become a challenge. Thus companies globally are turning to India- a destination that offers a large talent pool of highly-skilled software developers across technologies. In addition to being one of the biggest IT talent pools globally, it offers resources across emerging technologies, making it a one-stop-shop for all your development needs.
If you want to expand your team by offshoring your IT project in India, this blog is for you.
Solutions to top 6 challenges of hiring Indian developers
This blog will cover the top 6 challenges you may encounter while working with Indian Developers and solutions to mitigate them.
So without further ado, let us dive into the topic:
Highly Saturated Market
Numerous companies globally outsource to India, so the market eventually turns competitive for finding, hiring, and retaining highly skilled labor. So, be ready for a false beginning and a protracted search when looking to hire an outsource development company in India.
And, while in India there are untold numbers of skilled developers, there are also many unskilled workers. As an outcome, it can be challenging to find the right workers when you want to hire Indian developers.
The following process can address this challenge:
- Effective Interviewing and Screening – The effective interviewing approach and methodologies like vetting the developer on their technical knowledge, experience, and proficiency are a must to evaluate the more subtle dimensions of a software developer’s skill and abilities.
- Here are some steps to help you navigate to the right resource:
- List down vetted development companies on the metric of expertise, services quality, and security standard.
- Take into consideration the reviews, references, client testimonials, success stories of your potential partner on popular B2B platforms.
- Find a technology partner that dwells with extensive experience in emerging technology stacks.
- Access their level of communication and enthusiasm.
Learn more about hiring the best resources that act as a value-driving element to your business.
Lack of Privacy and Security Laws
2021 was a blink-and-you-will-miss year on privacy and data protection in India. In the context of offshoring, you may worry about data security and the infringement of trade secrets issues or sharing of customer data with the offshore development company.
There have been cases where customer data has been compromised or sold out to other companies. Therefore, the privacy of data remains an onerous concern while offshoring.
The following processes can address the security and privacy challenges:
- Signing an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) – To maintain a competitive advantage, businesses and companies should have an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) between the development company, developers, and business, that is a legal document keeping the lid on sensitive information like trade secrets, customer data. After all, confidentiality in writing and signed by all the parties lend trust for negotiations and deter any intellectual property theft.
- Regular Security Checks – Conduct regular security audits for infrastructure and servers and physical redundancy that helps protect data from outages, natural disasters, or attacks on local servers.
- Integrate EPP (EndPoints Protection Platforms) Approach – Integrating the EPP approach on the device can help detect unknown attacks.
There are wide cultural differences between India and the U.S. Some of these differences won’t impact your professional relationship and enhance the diversity of your business. However, if you are not acknowledged with all the cultural nuances, you may run into misunderstandings. So, it’s advisable to understand each other’s cultures that lead to better management and increased productivity.
Another difference between the cultures relies on nonverbal contextual communication. In India, people build relationships as part of doing business and often use emotions to communicate their ideas.
Working with the right team and establishing clear, organized, and competent management ensures effective communication between both parties giving businesses a real boost.
The following processes can address this challenge:
- Keep transparency in communication while communicating your goals and objectives to the offshore development partner.
- Be respectful towards their culture, traditions, beliefs and avoid mirroring your business model with the remote team.
- Have an insight into the professionalism of the specific region.
- Provide proper training and mentoring to your remote team to avoid confusion, misunderstanding, and discord between team, company, and clients.
- Create a constructive feedback mechanism that allows teams to communicate and share their feedback.
Resource Backup Not Always Available
Having a resource backup bench is critical to the success of a project—a readily available team to take over the project in case of any emergency and ensure on-time completion. But when working with freelancers, third-party websites, or even a small enterprise, resource backups are not available, creating a single point of failure for the project.
The following process can address these challenges:
- Evaluate your potential development partner on the scale of their systems, work processes, frameworks, and escalation matrix. Notably, access their operational hierarchy, especially in escalation scenarios, look how expeditiously the hired developers resolve it.
- Presently, having a resource backup has been a crucial element to ensure the project’s seamless development. Thus, choosing a reliable partner who can offer quick resource replacement and on-demand upscaling or downscaling of the hired team.
Despite many perks, hiring Indian developers can sometimes result in dissatisfaction caused by engaging in outsourcing or offshoring operations without ensuring all communication risks are met with proper preventive measures.
To be precise, communication challenges arise from two scenarios:
- Lack of Language Proficiency – The hired team, has analytical competency, but they struggle due to low English proficiency. And as English is considered the lingua franca in technology and software development, this comes as an unconscious bias for Indian developers as they are non-native speakers. This communication gap causes a major challenge when instructions get lost and developers cannot present their ideas effectively.
- Tracking of Work – In a typical outsourcing operation, you are usually engaged in a contractual agreement with another party that consists of clauses regarding the workload and duration of the project. Since working with a remote team gives you limited visibility of the ongoing operations, dealing with developers with poor communication ability can delay development.
The following process can address these challenges:
Address the communication challenge by following a rigorous selection process. An efficient selection process can prove beneficial in the long run. Besides, a robust selection process ensures proper screening, vetting, and selection of teams based on their skillset and analytical behavior.
The selection process consists of the following steps:
- Resume vetting
- Analytical aptitude examination
- Candidate selection interviews in English
In a nutshell, it’s always better to hire developers who have a good understanding of the language and experience of similar situations to ease the process considerably.
Not Meeting Quality Benchmarks
A common problem amongst Indian developers is that they lack curiosity. Despite having a large talent pool across technologies, one can see the disparity in skill-sets among resources.
Rudimentary coding knowledge and a degree seem to suffice the saturated market, and most of these resources work mechanically without understanding what they do. This eventually affects the quality of the work compared to the quantity delivered in the long term.
Besides, the Indian IT industry is primarily service-based, which means it initially comprises companies that work on already developed products by clients and offers.
The following process can address these challenges:
- Assess Tech-stack and Coding practices- Evaluate the tech expertise of your offshore team.
- Which coding languages do they follow?
- Which best practices do they follow?
- Their tech-stack and knowledge and experience in emerging technology
- Experience With Service and Product Based Development – Look for experienced developers with service-based and product-based companies allowing their creative juices to take over and develop something new.
- Create an Effective AMP (Annual Maintenance Plan) – Creating an effective AMP helps facilitate the use of assets at optimum performance. Having an AMP helps avoid significant breakdown or unforeseen renewal if you stick to the guidelines provided.
- Look For Specialized Forums – You can check out technical recruitment platforms that help in technically efficient screening and vetting, allowing companies to build strong, tech-savvy, experienced teams.
Hiring Indian programmers even with the right education, skills, and experience can be tricky unless you have a reliable partner to assist you.
Why Choose YTII As Your Reliable Indian Software Development Partner?
At Your Team In India, we have checked on all the imperatives to create a global pool of developers ready to walk the extra mile to offer businesses a competitive advantage. Sooner or later, it’s a trusted, fast and easy way to grow your development team.
Established in 208, Your Team In India stands firmly on the principle of agile operations and has successfully delivered over 1000+ development projects. Partnering with YTII, you get a dedicated team of highly experienced and skilled experts who help you overcome the challenges mentioned above in bringing your idea into operational reality and gain a first-mover advantage over your competitors.
Get in touch today to overcome these common challenges when hiring software developers.