Table of Contents
As with many technologies, Node.js has its champions. It is the powerhouse of some of the giant websites like Uber, LinkedIn, PayPal and more. Many other development companies have moved to a uniform web language with Node.js that leading the way.
Before we discuss why top companies are choosing Nodejs, let’s understand what is Nodejs!
A Brief About Nodejs
Read our other blog to check the comparison of Nodejs vs PHP.
How Did it all Start? The Origin of Nodejs
However, Dahl created this language because he wasn’t satisfied with the way the Apache HTTP server handles multiple concurrent connections. In fact, he criticized the way code was blocking the entire process or implying multiple execution stacks for simultaneous connections.
In June 2011, Microsoft and Joyent together implemented a native Windows version of Node.js. The first version was released in July 2011.
In January 2012, Dahl stepped aside & promoted the co-worker and npm creator “Isaac Schlueter” to manage the project.
How Does it Work?
Node.js Architecture Includes
- Single Threaded: Node.js works on a single thread. This approach is worth considering as it avoids context switching.
- Event Loop: The event loop allows node.js to perform non-blocking I/O operations despite the single-threaded feature. A transaction passing through Node traverses a cascade of callbacks. And using the ‘libuv’ library, it handles queuing & processes the asynchronous events.
- Non-Blocking I/O: This loop works on a single thread, but the runtime tasks are executed asynchronously on the worker’s thread top that returns the result via call back to the event loop thread. This is a great non-blocking way of handling code execution.
- Front-End Development: The front end is what is visible to the user, and he engages and performs activities. Front- End Development covers coding the UI interface, handling events, and thereby interacting with back-end server to pull data at the front-end UI side.
- Back-End Development: The back-end is the technical work that is not visible to the user. It deals with server-side scripting and database interaction so that the data can be requested by front-end apps.
Node.Js Is Best Suited For:
- Streaming applications
- Messaging apps
- Real-time web applications
- Chat programs
- Social media apps
- Virtual emulators
- Multiplayer games
- Collaboration tools
- Encourages Sharing: Robust Node Package Manager (NPM), encourages sharing. Having a repository of 50,000 packages, developers manage to build effective solutions. With inbuilt NPM, it becomes easy for developers to update, share or reuse codes.
- Ideal for Real-Time Applications: The language has extraordinary features for creating real-time applications like chats and gaming apps. It is also an ideal fit for programs that require an event-based server or non-blocking server.
- Data Streaming: HTTP request responses are considered isolated events, but in reality, they are streaming data. You can leverage data streaming in Nodejs by incorporating features like processing files when uploaded. It drastically decreases the complete processing time.
- Suitable for Microservices: All big names are utilizing Node.js for their microservices. Wondering why? Well, Node.js has the ability to optimize the performance of your application. Furthermore, eliminating the unwieldy modules make it simpler to operate microservices on Node.js applications.
- Cross-Platform Development: Nodejs collaboration with Electron or NW.js allows you to build cross-platform applications.
Wait, there is more to add!
Node.js embraces flexibility with features like cluster modules enabling load balancing over various CPU cores. Besides, the use of robust tools like PM2 process manager makes it simpler to monitor, optimize and deploy Node applications.
Getting Better Each Passing Day
Node.js is improving for the better each passing day. It keeps launching new releases while enhancing the standard of the codes/features. Moreover, with the support of an open source community, this technology will be nourishing in the near future.
Having more than a million downloads, Node.js thrives to build real-time applications, the Internet of Things, and microservices. It is becoming more popular than any other technology and is ranking among the topmost in-demand developer skills.
The Benefits of Nodejs Development Includes:
- The development process is efficient and bridges the gap between frontend and backend development.
- The continuously growing NPM offers various tools and modules that further boost productivity.
- The code execution is faster in comparison to other technologies.
Some other benefits of Node.js are:
Scalability: Scalability is the core feature of Node.js. It is one of the basic things for businesses that are planning to grow. Apps-based startups choose this to develop a lightweight and fast system that gives a good real-time response that can be scaled later. The scalability of Node.js can be achieved by load balancing and by handling the number of similar connections.
MVP Development: Node.js lets you develop an MVP, a piece of software that comes with features so that the product can enter the market and fulfil the needs of a customer.
Community: Node.js community is the largest and fastest growing software registry. It comes with various library and reusable templates that can be used in the code to provide more value and less effort. In the Node.js package manager, there’s a module for everything, which you can pick and select.
Polishing off: Node.js has become one of the most popular choices for startups, with more companies giving it a try. It is popular for its efficient performance, smooth development process, ability to handle multiple requests, prompt code execution and more.
Why are Companies Switching to Node.js Development?
Node.js has managed to grab the developer’s attention ever since its release. Being open-source & cross-platform solutions, Nodejs has become an exceptional choice for real-time applications.
Ramin Beheshti – The Chief Product officer and Technology officer at Dow Jones, who is also the owner firm of Wall Street Journal, says “The simple truth is Node has reinvented the way we create websites. Developers build critical functionality in days, not weeks.”
What Do You Think is the Future of Node.js?
Node.js has already proved its worth in the Internet of Things. Furthermore, this technology will remain best for the development of web applications & mobile-base backend systems. It simply states that the future of Node.js is bright & this programming language is here to stay!
Need help setting up a dedicated team of Node.js developers in India? Connect with us our business head now and get a free consultation.